'DWTS' sticks with spray-on tans – USATODAY.com

Dancing With the Stars newbies, welcome to the world of spray-on tans. For some of the new contestants on the ABC competition, it won't be easy being orange.

  • U.S. women's soccer goalie Hope Solo says she's never had a spray-on tan.

    By Evan Agostini, AP

    U.S. women's soccer goalie Hope Solo says she's never had a spray-on tan.

By Evan Agostini, AP

U.S. women's soccer goalie Hope Solo says she's never had a spray-on tan.

U.S. women's soccer goalie Hope Solo has already knocked down a suggestion she take part in the ballroom dancing tradition faster than she knocks down opposing penalty kicks. "I actually turned down the first one they offered," a perplexed Solo tells USA TODAY. "I have never had a spray tan."

Talk show host Nancy Grace was even more surprised when she heard what she was expected to undergo. "I almost fell off my chair," she says. "They sent over a letter asking me when I wanted a spray tan. I said whatttttt? I've never had a spray tan in my life. I didn't even know what it is."

But the pressures of keeping the right look — for the bright lights and revealing outfits — might be too hard to ignore. "I'll probably end up getting it," Solo muses. "Because if you don't, they'll end up putting on a bunch of stuff that's even worse and more nasty."

Grace said the concept "would take more research." Stay tuned.

One topic Grace's show stylist might want to handle with caution: any suggestion her no-nonsense haircut might be glammed up a little. "I don't know what you're talking about. I think my hair is glamorous," Grace says. "Are you suggesting I need a new hairstyle? Whatever happened to just being yourself?"

But after a few minutes of reflection, she says, "Based on my experience being on the airwaves, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If I get spray-tanned and I get extensions, I'll get mocked. If I don't, I'll get mocked."

"I'm just going to do what I want to do," she says.

For more information about reprints & permissions, visit our FAQ's. To report corrections and clarifications, contact Standards Editor Brent Jones. For publication consideration in the newspaper, send comments to letters@usatoday.com. Include name, phone number, city and state for verification. To view our corrections, go to corrections.usatoday.com.
We've updated the Conversation Guidelines. Changes include a brief review of the moderation process and an explanation on how to use the "Report Abuse" button. Read more.

What's on Your Mind...