Shogun can light my fire anytime - San Diego Sports Bars

Japanese is on my list of things to do.  This review takes us to 5451 Kearny Villa Rd.  Just off the 163, you'll find Shogun Kobe Restaurant facing west, just waiting for the sun to set over the Pacific.  Check out their web site for a good look at the menu (http://blogshots.org/www.restaurantshogun.com/sandiego.php).

Monday - Friday:

11:30am – 9:30 pm

Saturday & Sunday:

12:00pm – 9:30pm

Business hours may vary due to special events and holidays.

'Yes we have sports packaged TV and if there's a game on this weekend you can watch it here.' Straight from the mouth of my server.  This may in fact be the place to watch the Saints battle it out on the gridiron come this weekend.  Go Drew Brees!

The bottom line here is this does qualify as a sports bar, not a dive bar but a good spot to enjoy food and watch the game.  They have several TVs tuned to the sports package.  They serve very good food, and the service is more than adequate.

My Shogun combination was served with soup, salad, steamed rice and fresh fruit, following a two course meal of Chicken Katsu plus Vegetable Tempura.   The food was very good and the artist preparing the meal is still working on his skills as Entertainer but it was enjoyable.

As a typical San Diegan, I would have guessed Benihana's was the originator of the staged (Teppanyaki using the iron griddle around which guests watch food artfully prepaired) food preparation which is so entertaining for diners.  I wonder if Odd Thomas ever considered this art form when he flips his fluffy flap-jacks.  Maybe I'll suggest it to Dean Koontz for his next book.

The originator of the teppanyaki-style food prep is the Japanese restaurant chain Misono, which introduced the concept of cooking Western-influenced food on a teppan in Japan in 1945.  Trouble was Japanese weren't impressed with the food or process so the entertainment aspect became the concept stressed and tourists flocked to watch and enjoy the cuisine.

I'm no expert in Japanese cuisine, but as I learn more and more I find I'm enjoying it way more than I would have expected.  Sushi anyone? 

Try Shogun anytime.  It's good.  I'm going back for the weekend football and Japanese food because it's just plain fun and yummy.  I'd go 4 of 5 chopsticks here.
 

What's on Your Mind...